Tack coats are a vital component of an asphalt pavement’s structural system because they bond the multiple asphalt lifts into one monolithic layer (think of the laminate wood beam). Poor tack coat application results in poor bonding of the asphalt layers. The usual pavement distresses associated with poor or no tack coat is slippage cracks (at locations where traffic is braking) along with delamination of the surface lift. But quite often poor tack coat also causes more classic structural pavement distresses, namely fatigue cracking and potholes, without the poor tack being recognized as the source of these early failures. Despite these facts, little attention is often paid to tack coat operations by both contractors and the agencies, and pavement performance suffers.
This 1.5 hour webinar will provide participants with an introduction to some of the information presented in the full half-day workshop that is offered by FHWA and the Asphalt Institute on this topic. The best practices and recommendations to achieve well bonded pavement structures presented in this webinar are based on an extensive review of literature, research, and other information sources on this topic.
Topics covered include:
- Tack Coat Terminology
- Purpose of Tack Coats and Consequences of Poor Bond
- Relative Cost for Tack Coat
- Tack Coat Field Operations
- Common Tack Coat Questions
- Areas of Known Agreement
Download: (1.1MB) Tack Coat Best Practices webinar slides
- Register online to view this webinar
- (2MB) Instructions for viewing a recorded webinar
- To register and pay for this series you can contact our offices by phone (859.288.4960) or email (email@example.com)
Professional Development Hours:
- 1.5 hrs., 1.5 PDHs
A PDH Certificate is available upon request after you complete the session by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the webinar and full name you used to register.
- Dave Johnson, P.E., Regional Engineer, Asphalt Institute
- Registration is per individual. Only the registered person will receive emails about the webinar and will be recognized for a PDH certificate. See below for group registration.
- We would encourage you to visit http://support.webex.com/support/system-requirements.html to ensure your system is compatible with our webinar system before you register or as soon as possible afterward.
- We also highly recommend that you go to: http://www.webex.com/lp/jointest/ and join a test meeting to load the client and test your system.
Group Registration & PDH Certificate Policy
- Full details are listed on our Group Registration Policy page.