Mix designs are an integral part of the overall performance of Slurry Seal, Microsurfacing and Chip Seals. For mix design of Slurry Seals and Micros, there are several recommended sources including ASTM D3910, ISSA A-105 & ISSA A-143, and MS-19 Basic Asphalt Emulsion Manual. In the lab, blending of the materials that are to be used in the field is done in varying proportions to select the proper formulation. Lab tests are conducted to ensure a slurry mixture that performs well during placement and under traffic. For Chip Seals, there are procedures for determining the proper quantity of asphalt binder and cover aggregate. Material properties of the stone and asphalt are first obtained, and then calculations and lab testing performed to determine the required quantities. Adjustments must be made to account for traffic volume, absorption of the binder into the existing pavement and cover aggregate, characteristics of the cover aggregate, etc.
This webinar will illustrate the mix design process first for Slurry Seal / Microsurfacing, and then move into the same for Chip Seals. Discussion for each treatment will include component material analysis, proportion optimization, performance testing, final formulation adjustments and recommendations.
- Slurry Seal/ Microsurfacing mix design requirements and standard methods.
- Chip Seal mix design requirements and standard methods
- Highlight each performance test and its purpose
- Discuss the importance of specified tolerances
- Emphasize importance of proportioning according to the job mix formula in the lab and later in the field
- Illustrate that failure to adhere to the mix design proportions will lends itself to performance issues
Fees & Registration:
- The registration fee is FREE for this recorded session.
- Register online to view this recorded webinar
- Instructions for viewing a recorded webinar (PDF 706KB)
Professional Development Hours:
- 1.5 hrs., 1.5 PDHs
A PDH Certificate is available upon request after you complete the session by sending an email to email@example.com with the name of the webinar and full name you used to register.
- Debbie Deep, MeadWestvaco Corp (Slurry Seal & Microsurfacing)
- Larry Tomkins, Ergon Asphalt & Emulsions, Inc (Chip Seals)
- Registration is per individual. Only the registered person will receive emails about the webinar and will be recognized for a PDH certificate. See below for group registration.
- We would encourage you to visit http://support.webex.com/support/system-requirements.html to ensure your system is compatible with our webinar system before you register or as soon as possible afterward.
- We also highly recommend that you go to: http://www.webex.com/lp/jointest/ and join a test meeting to load the client and test your system.
Group Registrations and Discounts:
Group Registration and discounts are available upon request.
- We encourage and support group registrations for the Asphalt Institute’s live and recorded events.
- A webinar “group” is more than 1 individual sharing a single computer (with or without a projector) to view a webinar at the same time at a single location.
- Each group must have a designated Group Coordinator who will serve as the point of contact for all communications such as the access code and instructions.
- The Group Coordinator will be charged the full undiscounted registration cost of FREE for each session registered for. All additional attendees will be charged a discounted fee of FREE per person for each session registered for.
- Group registration information can be viewed in our Group Registration and PDH Certificate Policy.
- Each registered group participant will receive a PDH.