“Additives in Asphalt” is the topic of Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists’ (AAPT) Fall 2018 webinar series. The series will consist of three webinars. The first will discuss additives in asphalt mixtures and will provide the foundation for the second and third webinar. The second will delve into the recent developments of how asphalt binder tests have changed, partially because of additives, in order to better understand modified asphalt binder behavior. Finally, the third webinar will explore what is on the horizon for additives in asphalt, including movement toward fundamental characterization through chemistry, sustainability, and engineered design. Note that price of specific additives will not be discussed specifically in this webinar series as the series will focus more on a fundamental understanding of the role of additives in asphalt.
|Session Part I: Additives in Asphalt Mixtures
Dr. David Mensching, Federal Highway Administration
The first webinar in AAPT’s Fall 2018 webinar series, “Additives in Asphalt,” will begin with foundational information on additives in asphalt. First, additives will be defined and the reasons for using additives will be discussed. Next, various types of additives will be covered for asphalt mixtures, followed by changes we need to consider in the design process of asphalt mixtures when using additives. Finally, there will be a brief survey of how additives perform both in a laboratory setting and then in the field. After this webinar, participants should have a solid understanding of the who, what, when, why, and how of additives in asphalt.
|Session Part II: Additives in Asphalt Binder
Dr. Hussain Bahia, University of Wisconsin – Madison
The second webinar in AAPT’s Fall 2018 webinar series, “Additives in Asphalt,” will dive deep into how testing for asphalt binder has changed because of the introduction of additives in asphalt binder. First, the concept of PG + testing will be explained, which will include a discussion of how the current PG binder grading system may not always be able to properly categorize modified asphalt binders. Next, four tests that are currently being debated and discussed in the asphalt binder expert task group will be reviewed and discussed: MSCR for rutting (AASHTO T350), LAS for fatigue (AASHTO TP 102), BBS for adhesion/cohesion (AASHTO T361), and low temperature cracking (SENB and Tg). After this webinar, participants should have a working knowledge about how current asphalt binder testing has changed and improved because of the use of additives in asphalt.
|Session Part III: Additives – What is on the horizon?
Dr. Louay Mohammad, Louisiana State University
The third webinar in AAPT’s Fall 2018 webinar series, “Additives in Asphalt,” will explore the future of additives in asphalt. First, innovative tests being used to identify and characterize additives will be discussed. From Scanning Electron Microscopy in the lab to hand held microscopy in the field, there are many new tools that can quantify the building blocks of additives. Second, a review on the sustainability of additives will be presented. From lower life-time costs to longer high performance, the use of additives is changing how we quantify performance. The sustainability of additives can be tied to engineered designs in mixtures as well, as we move away from the basic Superpave mix design to a balanced mix design. Finally, a broad overview of the potential trajectory of additives moving forward will be provided. After this webinar, participants should be able to identify the possible direction of additives in asphalt moving forward and have some key tools to understand how we may quantify additives in asphalt in the future.
Fees & Registration:
- The registration fee is $50 for each session.
Complimentary FREE for AAPT and AI members
- Instructions for viewing a recorded webinar (PDF 706KB)
Professional Development Hours:
- 1 hrs., 1 PDH per session part
A PDH Certificate is available upon request after you complete the session by sending an email to email@example.com with the name of the webinar and full name you used to register.
- Dr. David Mensching, Federal Highway Administration
- Dr. Hussain Bahia, University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Dr. Louay Mohammad, Louisiana State University
- R. Michael Anderson, P.E., Asphalt Institute Director of Research and Lab Services, Association of Asphalt Paving Technologist Executive Director
- Registration is per individual. Only the registered person will receive emails about the webinar and will be recognized for a PDH certificate. See below for group registration.
- We would encourage you to visit http://support.webex.com/support/system-requirements.html to ensure your system is compatible with our webinar system before you register or as soon as possible afterward.
- We also highly recommend that you go to: http://www.webex.com/lp/jointest/ and join a test meeting to load the client and test your system.
Group Registration & PDH Certificate Policy
- Full details are listed on our Group Registration Policy page.